Thursday, December 04, 2008

Clutter-free gifts - just in time

I've just stumbled upon the MOST fabulous idea.

Instead of giving gifts to clutter up somebody's home, why not donate a food parcel to a child-headed home in South Africa?

Make Christmas matter

P.S. I went to build relationships (have a chat) with a colleague and saw a card on her desk that went something like this.

"we've decided to forgo Christmas gifts this year and instead buy food parcels for child-headed homes"

What do you think? Good idea? Not?

4 comments:

Autismland Penny said...

I think that it is a great idea! It may surprise some people though so I would probably let them know in advance. We always adopt a family for Christmas. This year, we are adopting a family for a full year (meaning that we will send them groceries via gift cards and other things that they need all year). My kids are really excited!

I really like the build a relationship remark. I am so going to use that the next time that I am on the phone and my husband asks me what I am doing. lol

Jessica said...

I think it depends on the recipient. Mrs. Manners said in her column that "charity gifts" aren't really a gift to the recipient at all. So whether or not that's a good choice depends on whether the recipient will feel honored that you're helping somone with greater need then them or whether they'd be miffed that you're giving money to something you would have given money to anyways and called it a "gift" to them.

Marcia Francois said...

Good points, both of you.

I also think it's fabulous but agree that it would have to be handled carefully depending on the circumstances. It would work very well in a corporate setting because who wants more corporate gifts?!

Marcia Francois said...

Penny, that’s corporate speak for you!

I love the idea of adopting a family!!!

jessica, I have NO doubt that some people will be miffed.

ShareThis