Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Works for me Wednesday - easy baking

Okay, so I’ve told you before that I’m lazy. I know some of you don’t believe me but it’s true.

1. So when I bake, I measure out extra portions of the dry ingredients for the next two times. Like this.


This is what works for me.

I do recommend always labelling everything. Because after a few weeks of busyness, you do forget what that mixture is. You should see my pantry cupboards – you will laugh. But at least things are always put back in the correct places, right?

That said, I don’t bother to label the baking mix since I only bake these oatmeal cookies (I will blog the recipe and pictures on the weekend) and muffins. Yes, those are the only things I bake. And I can easily tell them apart.

But I do make all sorts of muffins – does that count? In fact, I saw a really nice recipe on a blog this week which I am itching to try out. And I have to try Sandra’s quick pizza.

2. Another thing that works for me is that whenever I bake, I put a cloth towel on the counter top so that all that flour doesn’t mess up the counters. Afterwards, it is easy to shake out the cloth and wipe down the counter.

Do you have any great baking tips?

13 comments:

Lorie said...

I do not think that is "lazy" but a brilliant idea!!! Thanks for sharing. I got your messages on my blog. I will write something soon so keep checking! Have a good day!

Marcia Francois said...

Hi Lorie

Thanks for stopping by. Oh yes, I can't wait to read the answers to my questions!!!

They don't call me Curious George for nothing.

Anonymous said...

The doubling idea is pure "genius"...one of those really simple things, that really save you time.

Covering the counter, now that I do all the time...but I probably waste money (but *do* save time) by using disposables.

I usually don't post comments...but also wanted to let you know that I find your blog very well done...Thank you.

Marcia Francois said...

Oooh, thanks Inca! *blush*

Annie said...

Great ideas Marcia!

Jenny said...

Gosh, Marcia, I had never thought of either of these! I love the premeasuring! That saves so much time! And I hate getting up flour, so I'll try to put a towel down next time; especially if the kids are helping!

Military Mommy said...

I love those tips! Especially about the cloth on the counter! Great ones.

I will have to come back later to read your 100 things post. I can't wait though. I didn't want to start because I have to leave the house soon. I have babysitter night again tonight and will save it for my precious alone time at the library. ;)

Anonymous said...

I have got to start doing this! Wow what a time saver..thanks so much for the brilliant idea! :)

Marcia Francois said...

Annie, CoachJ, Michelle and Rae

Thanks!!! it is a huge time-saver. Because the "wet" ingredients are always the same - margerine, milk and egg, and those are easy to remember too.

kate said...

Hi Marcia -

with the oatmeal muffins, I used one cup of blueberry and about 1/3 cup pecans ...

Thanks for checking out my blog! I loved this post. I am going to try this!

Laura said...

This idea is so perfect for someone like me who hates to bake but loves the results. Awesome!

Esther said...

Very smart idea on the premeasuring mixes. I do something similar, as I have a "Mixes" cookbook. I make up a large mix, or actually several basic mixes, put them in tupperware or freezer bags, and they are ready to go. I've got the cookbook I use for this listed under "cooking" in my links on my blog. Saves time, energy, and recipes are ready to go!!

Multi-tasking Mommy said...

What a GREAT idea!!! Thanks for sharing.

ShareThis