Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Tackle-it Tuesday - decluttering my bookshelf

Tackle It Tuesday Meme


My bookshelf has been bugging me for a few weeks so I decided to tackle it.

When I finish reading a book, I rate it on a scale of 1 to 10. I only keep 8's and above. But then I don't keep all 8's either.

So I have to go through this decluttering process every so often because I refuse to expand my collection to other parts of the house.


Before - from the side


and from the front (I had to sit to get the whole thing in because there's only 1m to work with)

After


these are the 10 books that were decluttered

Look at this section on the bottom shelf. Do you see how I layered the books on the left so they fit in nicely? And I like how that Keri Smith book sticks out. It says "play is the most important element in discovering who you are". Those orange post-its are marking the good bits as I mentioned before in this post.

And this is that same section from the front - now you can see the spine of Keri Smith's Living out Loud (thoroughly recommend it, by the way)


What did you tackle today, or what do you need to tackle?

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice tackle, Marcia :)
I love seeing books on bookshelves. I think I may have a book fetish...LOL
My tackle this week is my laundry room....not such a small tackle for me this week!

Beth Dargis said...

I see a few books on your shelves that I own as well. I love Live Out Loud by Kerri too!

Anonymous said...

today i tackled my 5 yr old room and my 9 yr old too i have pics on my blog before and after .
my next thing will be the back room.

Anonymous said...

I'm tackling Mt Foldmore - 5 things at a time. There will be before and after pics on my blog later.

Jenny said...

Um...well,...the office?! Again?
It's not as bad as it was, I promise, and there are spots for everything...

palmtreefanatic said...

Thats alot of books Marcia! Looks like a nice light tackle, good job!

Marcia Francois said...

Tina, I think with 5 kids, you are going to feel GREAT when all that laundry is done!

Beth, HELLO!!!!!!!!! How lovely to hear from you :) And nice profile pic :)

Tasha and Kin - I'm coming over to have a look.

CoachJ - I'm the same. You'll notice most of my tackles involve my study/ computer because that's where clutter builds up in my house the quickest.

Tina - that's actually only one of 3 shelves. My husband's one stays beautifully organised because he's more disciplined about spending than I am, but I'm a better declutterer :) And the other one is not used that often - lots of reference books.

ZAM said...

I like the way you "layered" the books so some could fit nicely in the remaining space.

Anonymous said...

Great tackle! I love books too and think your rating scale is a great idea (we have a hard time deciding what books to get rid of :). Thanks for sharing!

Deb said...

Great tackle! And a great job on your bookshelf. I tend to keep all my books, which results in way too many books on too few shelves - I like your rating system! :)

Anonymous said...

I need to do that, too. My shelves are overflowing and there's no room for more bookshelves.

My family tackled a bathroom renovation and I am tackling cleaning for out of town company.

Annie said...

Nice tackle Marcia.
I need to tackle so many things today.

Fingers To Toes Photography said...

WOW how awesome - good for you! :) I have just found reading again, and now want to read read read!!!

Donetta said...

Nice job. I tackles my oven, and de cluttered a table, a stack to be put away and my kitchen island along with emptying my apron pockets. Some paper work too.

ShareThis