Wednesday, October 31, 2007

WFMW - Going green to save money

Have you ever checked out my sidebar?

I have a link under my Organise your Finances heading called Simple Savings. It's an Australian site but the financial principles talked about are applicable all over the world!

I have a fair amount of Aussie readers (hello Tina, Kin and Ali) who might know about this site already but if you don't, go over and get their Simple Savings newsletter. That's for everyone, not just Australians!

Just based on my own experiences when we visited Australia in 2004, the Aussies are way more advanced than South Africans with regard to eco-friendly programmes. I'm by no means the most eco-friendly person but I do my best with what I do know.

As an aside, Oprah did a "going green" show that was aired here last week and I was amazed at the simple things we can do, like switching appliances off at the wall, using less serviettes (napkins), using those long-lasting lightbulbs, etc. The one lady said she saw an electricity saving of US $50 in one month (that's R350! or Aus $58).

I've just received my October Simple Savings newsletter and as well as the great savings tips, there is also a link to their free going green 2008 Simple Savings calendar which they have said we can freely pass along to others, hence this blog post.

Each month talks about how going green will save you money. For example...

1. Limit your impulse buys. Impulse buys are always things we can do without.
2. Only buy essentials. Leave the extras on the shelf.
3. Learn the difference between a 'need' and a 'want'.
4. Re-use everything. Before you throw anything out, try and use it one more time.
5. Fix things when they break. Don't buy a new one.
6. Be a creative cook. Learn how to cook from basic ingredients. [there are some great vegetarian recipes in this month's newsletter too - I can't wait to try the vegetarian chilli (yum)!]
7. Live in the smallest space possible.
8. Buy in bulk for better value and less packaging.
9. Grow your own food. Food is free when it comes out of the ground.
10. Reduce your power consumption. No need to pay more than you have to.
11. Reduce your water consumption.

Please go download the calendar, sign up to the Simple Savings newsletter and start saving money! I've already downloaded mine and it looks great!

For more WFMW posts, head on over to http://rocksinmydryer.net

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I {heart} Simple Savings! I've been subscribed to their newsletter for a long time and I've been thinking about paying for membership but I haven't as yet. They share so many brilliant ideas in the newsletter!

Anonymous said...

Oh I haven't read my newsletter yet. Thanks for spreading the word. It's a great site.

Unknown said...

I subscribe to that newsletter but don't pay to be a site member!! It has some great tips :)

Marcia Francois said...

Cool, all 3 of you already are subscribed.

Now we just have to get the rest of the world on. I really think it's a fabulous newsletter - I always get nice recipes and great tips.

Karen said...

Another idea for savings (both of the earth and financially) is reusable menstrual pads. Yeah, sounds nasty like you'd be making a big sacrifice, but they are actually WAY more comfortable.
I've been running a series on my blog about them and even have a contest where you can win some to try out. Check out my blog at www.pediascribe.com and look for the posts that have "Lunapads" in them. :)

ShareThis