Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Works for me Wednesday - best decluttering tips


If you're anything like I am, you buy things on a regular basis like food, clothes, things for the house, etc.

In the same way, if you don't have a regular plan for decluttering, you will soon become overwhelmed with clutter.

Photogenic left a comment on my previous post asking for my best decluttering tips and I couldn't resist :)

1. I subscribe to the one in, one out theory. If you buy 3 T-shirts, give 3 away. I actually rotate - my T-shirts move from nice ones to gym ones, and then they go out!

2. Have a box somewhere (mine is in my laundry) that you can toss things in regularly.

3. Have a plan to get the stuff out of your house. My box leaves once a week with my cleaning lady. If I have to run errands like take clothes to church for the orphanage we support, or books to the bookstore, I take those bags to my car and leave them in the boot (trunk).

4. Ask yourself, "who can use this today?" instead of saying, "I might need this someday". When you focus on the benefit, it is easier to get rid of things.

What is your best decluttering tip?

No comments:

ShareThis