Saturday, March 24, 2007

Homemaking meme

I found this meme over at Kim's Candor when I was trawling through some of her older stuff.

Aprons - Y/N?
Definitely not. I have only ever owned 1 apron in my life and that was because we had to buy them at school for Home Economics!

Baking - Favorite thing to bake?
Muffins! I like unfussy baking. By this I mean, throw everything together, mix and pour. Since I discovered drop cookies, I never bake the kind you have to roll out. Too much work. You will never find me making a recipe that says “mix a, b and c in this bowl” and “do this and that with x and y”. Too much bother.
I also like pancakes and fridge tarts. 10 mins prep and you’re done! Lovely.

Clothesline - Y/N?
Yes, we do, and a tumble drier.

Donuts - Ever made them?
Honestly, it never even occurred to me to make them. That’s what Pick & Pay is for. LOL

Everyday - One homemaking thing you do everyday?
Wipe down my counter tops.

Freezer - Do you have a separate deep freezer?
No.

Garbage Disposal - Y/N?
No, is this an American thing? I don’t know any South Africans who have this. If you’re reading and you have one, please leave me a comment!

Handbook - Y/N?
Yes, I have a Household Organising File with shopping lists, menu planners, travel checklists, and all sorts of other family info.

Ironing - Love it or hate it?
Hate is too mild a word! I utterly detest ironing!

Junk Drawer - Where is it?
It’s not really a junk drawer but more of a miscellaneous place to keep lightbulbs, batteries, and so forth. I call it the hardware place.

Kitchen - Design and decorating?
My kitchen cabinets are beige, mostly black appliances. I should take a picture and post it.


Love - What is your favorite part of homemaking?
Organising of course

Mop - Y/N?
Yes, once a week when Bea comes. Otherwise, if something spills, then we also mop.

Nylons - Wash them by hand or in the washer?
In a lingerie mesh bag in the washing machine

Oven - Do you use the window or open it to check?
Depends – I open it if food is cooking but for any baking, I look through the window.

Pizza - What do you put on yours?
Lots of veggies. I don't like mixing meats. I don't like salami and bacon on the same pizza. Love pineapple

Quiet - What do you do during the day when you get a quiet moment?
I organize, read or get on the computer and catch up on my blog reading.

Recipe card box - Y/N?
No, I use flipfiles to organize my recipes aside from the 3 recipe books I do own.

Style of house
Pressed ceilings, wooden floors (most of which are covered by carpets). Living areas are fairly open-plan.

Tablecloths and napkins - Y/N?
For company, yes, a tablecloth. Usually there’s a runner on my table and we put out placemats when we eat.

Under the kitchen sink
This – and that is going to be my tackle for next week. Looking a bit hairy.


Vacuum - How many times a week?
Once a week, when Bea comes on a Monday.

Wash - How many loads do you do a week?
We usually do 2 loads, sometimes 3 if we wash a lot of linen.

X'es - Do you keep a list of things to do and cross them off?
Yes, yes, yes. There is almost nothing like that feeling of completion when you can cross them off.

Yard - Who does what?
I do nothing. LOL. We have a gardener every second week who mows the lawn and does some weeding and so on. However, my husband is in charge of the outside – swimming pool, garden, etc. So he has to organize all that – people to work, black bags, etc.

ZZZ's - What is your last homemaking task for the day?
Do a quick 5-minute pick up of any mugs, glasses, books, stuff lying around, and return them to their correct places. In the lounge, I straighten the cushions last.

In fact, I have a funny story – my husband doesn’t bother with the cushions. I don’t even think he notices them if they’re looking ugly. So one morning, to give him a shock, I said, “Oh my word. Someone must have broken into the house. The cushions are all out of order and I didn’t leave them like that”. LOL

No comments:

ShareThis