Monday, May 04, 2009

3 ways to use food so it doesn't spoil


I hate wasting food with a passion!

First of all it's money and also, I can't help thinking about all the hungry people right on my very doorstep.

So I have a few ways I use up food so that it doesn't spoil.

  1. Use veggies to make stirfry (as in picture above). In fact, in the above picture, I had some chicken, some spaghetti and veggies. By cooking this one meal, I managed to use all of those up which makes me very, very happy.
  2. If there are still veggies left (this particular night, there was also a lot of broccoli), throw into the freezer for use in soups whenever you get around to it.
  3. We store bread in the fridge anyway because it's warm in Johannesburg and bread goes mouldy very quickly. Sometimes we still can't get to eat the bread quickly enough so I toss the bread in the freezer. I really like saving time so I package them in packs of 2 slices so that I can simply grab a bag, pop the bread into the toaster and I'm good to go.
Those are the only foodstuffs that spoil in this house because when I cook, I cook enough for two meals and immediately freeze the other meal.

What other tips can you share? What works in your house?

6 comments:

Marci @OvercomingBusy said...

I have to admit that food spoils at our house all too often. That last bit of broccoli in the veggie drawer gets forgotten about. Or those last two hamburger buns get thrown into the bread drawer never to be seen again - until they are green! Throwing the leftover veggies and bread in the freezer is a great idea. I'll have to start remembering to do that.

Janelle said...

We try to schedule "leftover night" for dinner to clean out the stuff before it goes bad.

Marcia Francois said...

Love the leftover night!

Marci, remember to look through the freezer regularly though to use up those goodies :)

Lulu said...

Hello. Somehow I missed this post earlier this week, and it was still buried at the bottom of my feed reader, which I am clearing out right now.

I have another use for leftover spaghetti. Make baked spaghetti! I have only tried this with spaghetti like Americans eat, with the tomato-based sauce (with or without meat). It's easy and delicious!

After eating spaghetti for dinner, dump the sauce and noodles you have leftover into a zippered freezer bag, label and freeze. (Mix the sauce and noodles together before freezing if you haven't already.)

Take a casserole dish. Spray it lightly with cooking spray. Dump your thawed leftover spaghetti in the dish. Top with things like sliced mushrooms, black olives, pepperoni, shredded cheese. I know people that include jarred sliced Jalapeno peppers in their casserole. Bake the casserole at around 350 degrees F until the spaghetti is heated through and the cheese on top is melted.

Great way to use up leftover pasta and sauce, as well as peppers, olives, cheese, pepperoni, or whatever you have left that you can throw in. If I include chopped or diced veggies in my casserole, I mix them in with the spaghetti, to hide them! Works like a dream!

Marcia Francois said...

Hi Patricia

Thanks for sharing the baked spaghetti recipe. And congratulations on your pregnancy!

Lulu said...

Thank you Marcia! I am 33 weeks, so only 4 to 7 left to go hopefully! We are thrilled to be expecting a boy! He's due June 25.

How is your pregnancy going with the twins? I hope all is well. We've been going through Project Baby Organizing, also, but no where near the degree you have! Plus, your house started out a lot more organized than ours!

I come from a loooong line of pack-rats, although I'm working when I can to break the cycle. Slowly but surely, our house is becoming more organized each month. One day, it will be organized.

Hope all is well with your family! Twins will be such a double blessing! My sister-in-law is due 10 days after me, with twin girls! We're all so excited for the family to be receiving THREE blessings in so short a time!

ShareThis