Friday, April 03, 2009

Friday Declutter Challenge - receipts



Today we're decluttering and organising receipts.

Which receipts?
  • In your car
  • In your handbag
  • In your wallet
  • Stashed on your entrance hall table
  • On your desk

Here's an article I wrote called 5 steps to organised receipts


This week, your challenge is to
  • Gather the receipts all together in one place
  • Make piles - those you need to keep (please check with your accountant for some retention guidelines as these differ from country to country and from state to state) and those you can toss
  • For the ones you're keeping, organise them either by month (which is what I do) or by category first and then by month (household - Jan, business - Jan)

Share in the comments how you did!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you could use some help with your finances, check out


(Don't forget to take the financial check-up quiz about half way down the page)

3 comments:

Anne said...

Receipts are an easy thing for me. I used to just stuff them all in labeled 6x9 envelopes and never look back, but now I take care of them immediately. When I get home from the store, or at the least once a week, I clean out my purse and decide if I will need the receipt or not. Usually it goes right in the trash. If it needs to be kept for a possible return, it goes in my pricebook. If it is kept for taxes, it gets filed. Poof, years and years of receipts piled up, GONE before it even happens!

Marci said...

Receipts are on my mind right now. I just got done doing taxes. Business receipts go immediately into the business file, but jumbled all together to be organized at tax time. Personal receipts just get thrown where ever. I really do need a better system!

Has anyone ever used those receipt scanners? They look cool, but do they work?

Marcia Francois said...

Marci, I haven't used those scanners at all - I'm a real paper gal so I embrace my "paper-ness" entirely :)

ShareThis