Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Favourite organising tools # 12 - shoe storage organisers

Organizing your home office can be easy and fun when you use things around your house, like shoe organisers.

I've been re-organising things so let me show you how I use them in my own home office.

If you're in South Africa, I bought this one in the kids section at Mr Price Home Zone for R39,99 ($5). They come in purple, pink and blue. The beauty of this style is that there are another 12 pockets on the other side :)



First, I took some squares of jotter paper from my desk and folded them in half. I wrote down all the items I wanted to keep in the pockets and hung the labels from the pockets.


I'm just planning at this stage because I don't know if I am 100% happy with where everything is. Then I started putting the items in the pockets. I then found that I had to move the labels around so that the heavier items didn't make the whole organiser sway to one side.

When I was happy with the order and configuration of the labels, I stapled them to the material. I use the flat staples so that I can slip the staples out easily without ripping the fabric.

And there you have it - a beautifully organised system for all the bits and bobs that so often untidy your home office.

Have you used a shoe storage organiser in your home office? Share in the comments.

This is also my Works for me Wednesday post.

P.S. Join me for the Virtual Organising Seminar and let's get that home office organised!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great idea! i'm definitely going to do this.

my shoe organizer is currently in my (tiny) bathroom. there are no shelves, and a really small medicine cabinet, so it holds all of our bathroom stuff (cotton, q-tips, medicine, lotions, etc.)

Anonymous said...

That's a brilliant idea! I'm going to do this too :) I also like the previous commenter's idea of using it in the bathroom because we have very little storage in our bathroom too.

Oh, and HI! Long time no see! lol

Marcia Francois said...

Mindi, that's a great idea. If only I had a door in "the smallest bathroom in the world" I'd definitely use it there too :)

Tina, I know!!!! I was thinking about you on the weekend actually :)

Anonymous said...

Great idea. I'm going to check out the dollar store for one of these!

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to put one in our pantry for all the small stuff that gets lost and one in the entry closet and my sons room for his shoes, hats, and small clothing items.

Momma Val said...

Cool, the only thing that would make this even better is if you could see through the pockets. Fabulous!

Anonymous said...

I love how you even labeled the sections.. I am definitely thinking of doing that now, too! Yes, I have been using a back of the door shoe organizer in my bedroom for quite some many years now. Started off using one in my bedroom at home for all the items I use every day to keep them off my bureau, etc. and make my room look less cluttered. When I moved into a small apartment room when away at school, I did this again and stored what seemed like EVERYTHING in that thing. Mine has stretchy fabric that can hold just about everything. I absolutely adore your addition to this great idea and think I will have to do some reorganizing now myself! Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

I just found your website and I love your ideas. I just wanted to share my shoe organiser use. I have it hanging on the inside of the pantry door and I put things in it like gravy pouches, fruit snacks for the little kids, straws and things that are packaged where they don't stack together very well like chocolate chips and small packages of pasta. I love how I can see through it too. Thanks for letting me share.

ShareThis