Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Decluttering clothes

Tackle It Tuesday Meme

I've been planning to declutter some of my clothes for a few weeks now and finally just decided to DO IT!

It's at times like these that I realise I also need my Organise your Home home study system ;)



This is how I decided what had to go:
  1. I hadn't worn it for two years (!) either because I just didn't feel like it or it didn't fit me. Both those lilac suits in the pile don't fit me yet I hung onto them because when they did, they looked really gorgeous on me *sigh*

  2. I didn't LOVE it. There is a shirt in that pile that I have been keeping because

(a) my MIL bought it for me and I thought that was very kind of her and

(b) it is cool to wear in our blazing hot Jhb summers. BUT I must admit, I don't love it and it doesn't even look like me.


So I threw them out. That's only 6 items of clothing in there but the weight off my shoulders is huge, which brings me to another point:

Sometimes we make a bigger deal of things than they have to be. I'd been procrastinating all of this for 2 - 3 weeks and it took me 10 minutes to throw out :)

What have you tackled this week?

If you don't know how to reach your organising goals, join me on a free Skypecast this Thursday. Get all the details and your handout here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your website! Keep up the great work!

Unknown said...

I'm taking some stuff to ship to eBay today that I'd been putting off. It is amazing how we do that, especially when it feels so good to get it over and done with!

Mama Smurf said...

Oh how happy am I that I've found your blog! You are just what I need in my life! You've been blogmarked!

Sheila said...

Hi Marcia!

I'm getting rid of a bunch of clothes, too. Spring and summer stuff I know I'm not going to wear. And it's good stuff, but it's never looked particularly good on me.

I've always figured that it's better to have 6 outfits you feel great in than 35 that make you feel frumpy.

So they're off to the consignment store this week!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your tips! I've talked to my designer about them.

Take care!

Visit To Love, Honor and Vacuum today!

Anonymous said...

I have so many clothes in my closet that I really need to get rid of. You've done a great tackle.

Anonymous said...

I got rid of so many clothes last week when I cleaned my closet too! It is much better now!
Regarding your questions...
I don't think I received the card and bookmark, I would have emailed you and put it in my bible (with the other bookmark which I love).
and you can have your friend email me. I won't charge to make a siggy, it only takes me about 15 minutes to make it so it's no big deal!

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a tiny pile! Thinking how MUCH I need to get rid of makes me procrastinate!

OK - Here's what I'll do: get rid of 5 things a day for one week. That would be 35 items. A small dent in the outdated and unfortunately too small clothes that weigh on me like a ball and chain. But like they say--you gotta start somewhere!

ShareThis