Thursday, August 13, 2009

I declutter because I'm cheap

When we first moved into this house nearly 4 years ago, I didn't realise how little storage space I had.

It seems the previous house had oodles and oodles of nooks and crannies that I just didn't appreciate until I moved here.

I had such a lot of stuff and I really thought I needed some additional built-in kitchen cabinets until I got some quotes.

And just couldn't justify spending thousands of rands to store STUFF.

So I decluttered all my kitchen stuff until I made it fit.

(that may have been the start of my decluttering frenzy)

And we've been happily living in that kitchen ever since.

Cut to a few months ago.

I realised that babies come with kitchen stuff too. A pregnant friend told me that she was having additional kitchen cabinets built and I swear those old tendencies came to the fore and I seriously considered getting some built for us too.

It's easy to justify until you think about all the other stuff you still need to get for the babies.

And so I thought - I've done it once; I can do it again.

So I did.

I decluttered half a shelf so that the baby bottles, etc. can fit in between all our lunch stuff.




I'll have to do a bit more decluttering soon because those bottles have multiplied.

Why do you declutter? What have you done differently because of being "frugal"?

post signature

3 comments:

se7en said...

I love decluttering and clearing out and organizing!!! I guess I got a bit passionate about it when we went through a dry spell and I needed something to do that cost nothing... what better entertainment than to sift through your stuff and separate the treasure from the less treasured! I am all for hanging onto stuff that is loved, but if it isn't then away it goes! Hope you guys have a great weekend!

Becca said...

The best way to declutter because of being frugal is to have a yard sale! You get rid of a lot of your clutter, and make a little $ while doing so. If you haven't used something in years, chunk it in the yard sale pile.

Tracy said...

I also declutter to be frugal but to keep my sanity!!! I feel crazy if there is to much stuff in my house and not in it's home. We have been on the road all summer with baseball for our son and my house was piling up so now I am decluttering to reclaim my home. I am going to have a yard sale and the proceeds will go to our savings for our Disney trip in DEC of 2009. Also, if I don't keep my house decluttered I think I buy unnessasary items.

Thanks for this great blog,
Tracy

ShareThis