Monday, November 30, 2009

...getting ready for Christmas


With Christmas fast approaching, I thought I'd point you towards some helpful Christmas posts

Think about clutter-free gifts

Organizing and storing holiday items

Declutter your children's toys


Let's talk gifts - what's your philosophy on the whole gift-giving issue, especially in this economy?

Do you go ALL out, no expense spared?

Do you have a gift limit?

Do you buy for kids only or also for adults?

Do you do handmade gifts?

Share in the comments - I'd love to hear what you do.

post signature

P.S. I'll start by sharing my gift-giving philosophy in the comments.

P.P.S. We found out we were pregnant on Christmas Eve last year. I put up this little stocking not knowing that there were TWO little babies :)

6 comments:

Marcia Francois said...

I definitely don't believe in going ALL out. We usually set a budget for Christmas - the entire thing - and buy gifts to fit that budget.

That said, when things are tough - the year we bought our first house, last year because of all the IVFs getting pregnant, this year with the babies, we just don't do the gifts thing.

It's all about Jesus for us anyway and spending time with family.

Diane said...

On my hubbies side of the family we only buy for the children . I dont usually go all out but I did this year and bought a wii and wii fit for the family so we could use it together. Also this is a family gift that I have never done before. I dont want a a lot of clutter and thought this was a good way to spend the money and not accumulate clutter.

Marcia Francois said...

Diane, a family gift is a great way of still getting into the Christmas spirit but not creating clutter.

Well done.

Marcia Francois said...

I just wanted to share my thoughts on the whole gift-giving process in my family/extended family...

The adults pick another adult and are a 'secret santa' while all of the kids still get gifts. We still stick with a small limit - about $40 for the adults and the kids are about $20. (Now by kids, I'm referring to the nieces, nephews, and cousins.) My boyfriend and I have decided to only give each other gifts this year as long as they are under $20 total. We are also considering donating to a charity for the older nieces and nephews - the ones who will appreciate it.

We've also gone way down on our decorations this year. In fact, we purchased a Charlie Brown Christmas Tree as a reminder to simplify.

And when I decide on gifts for the parents or for anyone, I make sure it's something that can be used and appreciated - not something that will add to their clutter. While my boyfriend and I are constantly working on living simply and below our means, we also want to encourage our family to do the same...

Thanks for your blogs and have a blessed holiday!

Char Robertson

Suzan Baker said...

Whenever I wanna giveaway the toys I have to do it secretly.
airport parking comparison Luton
airport parking Luton

Patricia Carter said...

Oh that's a long and tiring road and not everyone makes it.
buy jim jefferies tickets
jim jefferies tour tickets

ShareThis